Speck Of Texas

Thursday, January 05, 2006

Woo Hoo! Go UT!

Uh, yeah, like I care. So, yes, the whole town was in an uproar today over the win. People out here are VERY serious about their UT football. My boss even lost her voice from yelling so much. Everyone wears that burnt orange and trucks have the 'hook 'em horns' hand gesture as a decal. My neighbors had a party for the game so I saw about half of it. That's really all I can take of football.

I've been pondering this, and this is what I came up with.....

Things I've learned since moving to Texas:

1. "Fixin'" doesn't just mean 'repairing'. They really do say this quite a bit.

2. When you tell people "we're having barbeque" you damn well better have brisket on that table and NOT just barbequed hamburgers and hot dogs.

3. "That dog wont' hunt" is a perfectly good way of saying "That won't work" or "That's not going to happen". I LOVE this saying. They don't say it a lot, but I've heard it every once in a while.

4. Texas used to be its own country sometime in the 1800s, and some people out here think of themselves as Texan before American. Texas was also treatied into the USA so the Texas flag can hang at the same height as the USA flag. The Texas capital building in Austin is actually taller than the one in the DC. I was not surprised when I heard that trivia.

5. NEVER say "So what's the big deal between UT and Texas A&M?"

6. Texans really love their Dr. Pepper.

7. Size does matter - we have 40 COUNTIES that are each bigger than the whole STATE of Rhode Island.

8. I am distressingly extremely allergic to poison ivy.

9. People out here LOVE the Texas state flag. It hangs outside of businesses, it's on plates and cups, people wear it on hats, on shirts, on shorts, etc. I certainly don't remember the CA flag used so much - and that one has a cute bear on it!

ok, that's all I can come up with for now. I really tried to come up with a #10, but just couldn't do it.

2 Comments:

  • are you fixin' to start sayin y'all sometime soon. i worked with some folks from tyler TX and not long after that i said y'all all the time. it really it a handy thing.
    kim

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:27 PM, January 06, 2006  

  • Well, I already kinda used y'all when I lived in CA. I've always felt it was a good phrase instead of saying 'you guys'.

    But, yeah, I say it even more now.

    By Blogger Speck, at 8:48 PM, January 07, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home