Speck Of Texas

Thursday, December 01, 2005

stupid UTI!

Sometimes when I volunteer at the Humane Society I also help out with adoptions. I've done the training for it, so I can approve applications and process adoptions for cats. Most of the staff are knowledgeable about dogs, so I try and help people interested in the cats. One of the parts of the app is to explain how expensive pets are. Sometimes people come in and they don't really understand the costs involved. The cat adoption fee is $115 and then you have food, toys, and vet bills. Some people say they have to wait for the next paycheck before they can afford to adopt. Excuse me? If you can't even afford to adopt, how are you going to feed and care for this animal? Yes, Friskies is pretty cheap, but vet bills are not. We tell people to budget $100 a month for a cat. It sounds like a lot, but it really adds up with food, toys, and vet bills. Of course, that's assuming they take their cat to the vet.

Speaking of vet bills...for awhile now I've had a sneaking suspicion that Spike and Asher had urinary tract infections. It's not something they can catch from each other so I thought I was just being paranoid. But, over the weekend I finally talked myself into taking them to the vet just in case. I dropped them off this morning and the clinic tested them. Yup, they BOTH have it. Yippee. Now I've got them on pills twice a day for 10 days. And my cats catch on pretty quick. They'll learn fast what I'm trying to do. It's going to be fun trying to catch them every morning for their pill. I'm gonna have to wake up an hour early just to get this done. It kinda pisses me off cause I have them on really expensive dry food. It must be the wet can food I give them for treats. But, I can't stop that...they so look forward to it. Oh well. There's another $240 to add to my kitty bill.

2 Comments:

  • Do they sell those weird syringe things that allow you to shoot the pill down their throats like the vet does at the office? Might need to make another kitty investment. Hope they start feeling better...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:29 PM, December 02, 2005  

  • Yeah, I do have a 'pill popper' and i also get a big syringe and fill it with water to shoot down their throats. It makes them swallow the pill easier.

    By Blogger Speck, at 11:17 AM, December 04, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home