Speck Of Texas

Sunday, December 25, 2005

Merry Christmas!

Hi all. Hope you had a good Christmas! This morning we had a big breakfast at my sister's house. Mimosas, waffles, pancakes, hash browns, coffee cake, omelets, and some other breakfast stuff. Very laid back and relaxed. Johnny had a blast opening his presents. I think next year will be the big 'Christmas' year for him. He's only 3 now and I don't think he really grasped the whole Santa Clause concept. Then we all went to my parent's house and my brother-in-law installed a ceiling fan in their living room. The ceiling was vaulted so it was a little tricky getting up there. But, everything turned out ok and no major injuries were sustained. Then we had spaghetti and meatballs for dinner. All in all, it was a pretty relaxed Christmas.

My parents gave my sister and I money for house improvements. I need a new fence and new siding, but I'm not sure how much it will cost. Next month I'll get some guys out to give me estimates. I know my neighbors will all chip in for their portions of the fence (not sure about the people behind me though..don't know them). And for siding, since the front of my house is all stone and the back of my house is protected by my screened in patio, it's really just the two sides that need to be done. That siding is so rotten, I accidentally broke some off while squishing a bug. That was distressing. So, I guess I'll have some fun next year. I've also got some other house projects I've been meaning to do: new tile mosaic back splash in the kitchen, sand and paint kitchen cabinets, sand and paint master bathroom cabinets, paint dining room. I think that's it. I'm looking forward to the back splash. I'm just going to buy some tile, smash it with a hammer, and just have fun with it. That's the great thing about mosaics - don't need to measure!

Another thing I want to take care of next year is opening one of those school fund saving accounts for Johnny. I gave my sister a lot of money for his birthday, to be put in his savings account. She let slip last week that she actually didn't deposit it, but instead used it for bills, and whatnot. She said she'd put it in later. Uh, what? I didn't give her that money for bills. I gave it to her so in 15 years Johnny has some money for school (or whatever he needs). I talked to my Dad about it, and we are going to open an account for Johnny that my parents and I can deposit money into. I know it's tough to think about now, since he's only 3. But, that time is going to fly by and we need to plan ahead. It'll be interesting to see what it gets up to in 15 years.

If I don't post......HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

4 Comments:

  • I don't know much about it, but I've seen ads for a program called "Upromise." Apparently you can open an educational account for someone and make traditional deposits. But then certain retailers and brands (Exxon, McDonalds, Tide, etc.) will donate a portion of your purchases to the educational account as long as you have registered your credit card to tell them which account your rewards should go to. Check it out at www.upromise.org (I'm thinking about doing one for my newphew, too). Merry Christmas!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:40 PM, December 26, 2005  

  • Sometimes I'm like a schizo on time delay. I was thinking about your siding today. Are the windows on the sides of your house in good condition? If not, you should have them done while the siding is off since they can use windows for original construction instead of for remodels...they fit better. God damn, I'm a geek.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:05 PM, December 27, 2005  

  • Yeah, I thought about changing the windows too at the same time. It makes sense. I'm not sure if I'm going to get double-paned or not. Depends on the price difference.

    By Blogger Speck, at 10:16 PM, December 28, 2005  

  • so is austin burning yet or what!?!? that town must be going nuts over the rose bowl win. just hoping you survive the madnss. can't wait to see ya in a couple of months
    kim

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:31 PM, January 05, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home