Speck Of Texas

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Damn laminate!

I previously mentioned that I wanted to do a mosaic backsplash in the kitchen. I've been taking pictures of the process, so when I'm all done you can see it. The crappy part is that after I took off the wallpaper that was there from the previous owner, instead of finding drywall or plaster, I found 70s vinyl laminate. That's right - the whole freakin backsplash is cream colored laminate. So, the goop to stick the tiles to won't stay on the laminate - it's too slippery. Now I have to go buy 1/4 inch backboard, cut it all out to fit over the laminate and nail it to the studs. I so did not want to do that, but oh well, too late now.

The cool thing is I learned how to put in new plugs! After taking off the wallpaper and ugly brass faceplates, I noticed how old and ucky my plugs and switches were. My friend Gil from the shelter had redone all the plugs and switches at his house and had all the cool electrical equipment. He came over on Sunday and we did 4 plugs and 5 switches. They all turned out great. I think I'd actually be comfortable doing plugs by myself, but switches were a little weird. I also found awesome faceplates made from tile that practically match one of the colors in the mosaic. I think it's going to look really good.

btw - LeMorse - I know you 'tagged' me on your blog....but I don't like doing that kind of stuff. It makes me think too much. Sorry!!!!!

Less than two months till CA! Woo Hoo! I really need to get the car rental reservation. I keep forgetting. Ok! I'm going to go do that right now.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home