Speck Of Texas

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Commentary Whore

Yes, I proudly admit I am a commentary whore. I've even rented DVDs from Netflix of movies I didn't particularly love, just to hear the commentary (such as Day After Tomorrow -which did have a good commentary). In that vein, I put Elektra on the queue. I could have sworn that the write-up mentioned commentary. So I put it in on Sunday night, and alas, no commentary. I decided to watch it again (saw it in the theaters) cause it couldn't have been as bad as I remembered. But, yes, it was. Now, I love Jennifer Garner and Goran V. I love Jennifer Garner's arms and obviously muscled I-work-out-a-ton body. I believe that she can beat people up and make them hurt (unlike twig-thin SMG as Buffy). I can understand her wanting to do that role. And looking at the plot of the movie, it's not that bad. The special effects are good, the acting is good. I just don't know where it falls apart. But, wow, it truly exploded into bits somewhere. Though, it's nowhere near my 'oh-my-god-give-me-those-two-hours-back!!!' list. As Adam can tell you - The Way of the Gun, Brazil, and Once Upon a Time in Mexico are the movies on THAT list.

I also saw School of Rock - which was ok. Glad I didn't see it in the theaters. The kid's commentary is cute. (see! I watch the movie then watch it AGAIN with commentary! Somebody stop me!)

And as I was in a 'I want to mail these out tomorrow, dammit' kinda mood, I also watched The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (yes I was up till 2:30a). Wow. That is one artsy movie. I'm not sure if I 'got it' or not. It was ok. Willem Dafoe kicked all kinds of ass in that - he was really good. I'm usually not a huge Anjelica Houston fan either, but really liked her in this. Even though I didn't really care for the movie, I did listen to some of the commentary. It was ok.


Anyways - what you want to hear about my life?? Hmmm.....roof contractors should be coming out tomorrow to get me quotes on the leak. My mom is going to meet them so I won't have to take off work. Yes, I take advantage of my retired parents. I have no problem with that - I'm sure I'll be taking care of them in 20 years. Work is going ok. I had my first 'annual' review last week. I kicked all kinds of ass (yes I used it in the last paragraph but I really like that phrase). I brought up my raise again and my boss said she had to speak to the top doc about it. I told her that the work I'm doing now is not the work I was getting paid for. She agreed with that. I know she realizes how much extra work I've taken on since I started. If she hasn't gotten her shit together in two weeks about the raise, I'm going to really confront her about it. It was supposed to be in Jan, and here it is Feb already. I don't want to get in her face too much about it this week cause she just found out her mom has major cancer. They thought she just had pneumonia but instead it looks like breast cancer that metastised through her body. So, that doesn't look good.


I'm probably going to get in trouble for this....but have you heard on the news about the journalists from ABC that were badly injured from a roadside bomb and that woman who was captured and is now doing tearful videos begging the US to release the female prisoners or she'll die? I'm sorry, but I have NO compassion for those people. They knew what they were getting into. If you go into Iraq, make sure you have your will updated. You have to know that getting injured/abducted/killed is a very good possibility. So, if that happens, I don't want to hear any complaining. Suck it up. If you weren't ready for that, stay the fuck home. Ok, I'm going to stop before I sound like a completely heartless bitch (too late, I know).

1 Comments:

  • Hey!!!! I had the chance to read your blog and got totally caught up in it. Your Christmas present (yes, very very late) is sitting next to me and I'll try to send it out tomorrow. Now that I can contact you this way I'll try to keep in touch better!!!!! Oh in case my name doesn't show up somewhere, this is Randy!

    By Blogger inertbat, at 11:10 AM, February 02, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home