Speck Of Texas

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

I guess it's time

I guess it’s time I come clean about how Michael and I met. And really, I’m not doing this because I feel guilty about fudging the truth. I’m mainly doing this because I can’t remember who I’ve told what! That’s why I don’t usually lie about stuff – my memory isn’t good enough. So here it is:

Yes, Michael works with Melanie- that was true. But, we actually met over Match.com. Shocking, I know.

Fade to black as the flashback comes into focus:

Picture it – Austin, 2007. I was 29 years old. About to turn 30. I decided to get a bit more active in trying to find someone to be in my life. One of the women at my office had met her boyfriend on match. They’ve been together over 2 years and neither of them are what I consider ‘lookers’. Very much country Texans. I figured if those two found each other, there’s hope for me. So I went on, did a profile, posted a few pictures. Thank goodness I’ve got a nice smile and photograph fairly well – and I guess a bit of sarcasm didn’t hurt either. I was very up front about not wanting kids at all and that it was non-negotiable.

There are A LOT of people on match! Some really gorgeous guys, but also a lot of ‘regular’ guys in all shapes and sizes. I emailed a bunch of them with a short greeting. The large majority did not respond. A couple responded saying they’d met someone already. One guy I did chat with, but I felt I was being interrogated, so I cut that off quickly. Then I emailed Michael. He emailed me back and we went back and forth a few times. Then we did a phone call…I think it lasted over an hour, can’t remember. Then we met for lunch. Four hours into our first date, the conversation went around to me volunteering at the shelter. He said, “hey, if you volunteered there, you must know Megan, our HR person. She used to work there.” I said, “well, if you know Megan, then you know Melanie, my best friend, and I know exactly where you work.” We got very quiet for a few minutes while we digested how small Austin is. At that point Michael went from being ‘internet stranger’ to ‘guy that works with Melanie’. That facilitated the date going to 11+ hours. Then I called Melanie to get all the dirt on him, and she said he was a cool guy. Five months later, we’re still going out, still getting along, still enjoying being together.

Why did I fudge the truth? Well, basically if this relationship had only lasted a month or so, I wouldn’t have said anything. But, since this is getting fairly serious, I felt I should come clean. Also, I wanted to encourage anyone out there thinking about going online, to try it out. Do match.com, not eharmony. I hated eharmony. It’s not set up well and hard to use. Yes, I did both. In the long run, if a few hundred dollars helps me find the guy to spend the rest of my life with, that’s a decent investment. Of course, it’s also a large amount of rejection. I feel you just have to brush that off and say, eh, he wasn’t the guy for me then. If anyone wants encouragement or support in trying it out – let me know. I’ll help write your profile…and Michael can take pictures if you need!

5 Comments:

  • Oh please! These days meeting people on the Internet is no big deal. Glad you found someone, regardless. :)

    By Blogger Nathan, at 1:02 AM, February 20, 2008  

  • Interesting.

    While meeting people on the Internet hasn't been a big deal for a while, it has gotten kind of a reputation (read: what you see online isn't usually what you get).

    As an aside, I was one of the people "rejected by eharmony" (if you've ever seen the commercials on TV for one of their competitors).

    By Blogger cpu, at 7:58 AM, February 20, 2008  

  • What a cute story! Actually the only person I've ever dated in Japan was someone I met on-line. But it was a lot more barebones... no pictures, no profiles, nothing. He had simply posted "I'm looking for someone who isn't into the bar scene." and I replied.

    By Blogger inertbat, at 8:34 AM, February 20, 2008  

  • Well, just go ahead and steal my glory why don't ya?
    I was all prepared for you and Michael to get married, and at the reception, of course, I would make a toast and tell everyone how if it weren't for me you guys would have never met. I would explain that I had the foresight to see how perfect you would be for one another. But no...you just had to have a conscience and tell the truth (blech). Hehehe...But seriously, there is no shame in meeting someone online. Our lives are very different from our parents and meeting people once you are out of college/working can be hard. If anyone gives you a hard time about this, they'll have me to deal with :)

    By Blogger Mel, at 12:44 PM, February 21, 2008  

  • i am so glad that you finally came clean about this. you have no reason to feel bad or weird about the way you met. and how serious are we talking??? :)

    By Blogger fastturtle, at 4:52 PM, February 21, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home