Speck Of Texas

Friday, January 18, 2008

Not a good week

The last few days of this week really sucked. My dad has been in the hospital since Wed with a perforated colon. I won't get into the messy details, but he's having surgery on Tuesday (by two of my doctors, so I know they'll do a good job) and then he'll be in the hospital for another week so they can make sure the colon and intestines are all working like they should be. They caught it early enough that it wasn't life threatening or anything. In general, he's been in good spirits. The whole thing has just been stressful. This is the first time one of my parents have been in the hospital for something urgent like that. My mom is holding up well.

This morning when I got into work, I found out that the office downtown that holds two of our clinics had caught fire. The fire was contained on the 5th floor, and we're on the 2nd, but the building was evacuated for a few hours in the morning and most of the staff came to my office. So I had to scramble to find desks and phones for everyone to reschedule patients and for the staff I didn't have phones for, I found them busy work to do.

And then later in the morning I realized that I have a urinary tract infection. Yay. Never had one before, and I wouldn't recommend it. I got in to see my doctor this afternoon and she gave me a 3 day pill supply. That should clear it right up.

The one bright and shining thing today is that Michael sent me flowers at work. Such a sweetie! They are so beautiful. It's a mix bouquet of carnations, lillies, and sunflowers. He knows that I despise red roses. I love what he sent. It's a 'thank you' for helping him write his annual review for work. I enjoyed doing it - it's been so long since I've written for a professional paper. I was whipping out all this cool vocab and phrases. I know it's hard to write your own review, so I was asking him questions about what he'd done during the year, how it benefited the company, its customers, and its employees, etc. It's a lot easier to remember what you've done when you've got someone grilling you with questions! I'm really happy that he sent me flowers. I've been wanting flowers for a while, but didn't want to say anything. I haven't been given flowers since my 21st birthday when Sherry bought me a bouquet of wildflowers. Sigh. I love getting flowers.

At least this week ended on a good note.

3 Comments:

  • yay for pics...your christmas decorations were so cute. my grandma had a similar ceramic christmas tree. i am so glad that your week ended on a high note. michael is definitely a keeper for sending you flowers. i must say that i am quite impressed (and a little jealous :)) hopefully your dad is feeling better by the time you check this....
    ps tell jason i said hi

    By Blogger fastturtle, at 10:43 PM, January 18, 2008  

  • Hope your Dad gets well soon - I know from experience how surgery in that - ehem - area feels like (not pleasant...as if any surgery is...).

    of course, hope you're doing better also. I had no idea all this was going on when I saw you and Michael Saturday night...

    By Blogger cpu, at 10:03 PM, January 21, 2008  

  • Aww, sweetie. Sorry your dad is having a rough go of it. I'm glad the condition was diagnosed relatively early.
    I hope you feel better soon as well.
    Yay for getting flowers! That's always nice.

    By Blogger Mel, at 10:24 AM, January 22, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home