Speck Of Texas

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

update on the dad

Hey. My dad had surgery yesterday afternoon. The actual surgery was scheduled for 1pm but the doc said he'd probably be picked up from his room by noon. I wanted to see him before the surgery so I got off work at 11:30 and got there by 11:40. My mom said I had just missed him. I kinda had a weird feeling about that. I just really wanted to see him before they did the surgery. Well, they couldn't do it laparascopically because of too much inflammation. They tried it, but had to open him up halfway through (that's fairly common). Now he has a huge incision running down from below his belly button. The surgery was only two hours long, but he was in the recovery room for four hours instead of the usual hour and a half. His blood pressure got really low and they had to give him fluids and other medication. But, today he's back in his room and is doing really well. He's even walking the halls a bit. He'll probably be in there for another five days so they can make sure all the plumbing still works.

My mom and I waited in his room instead of the surgery waiting room - much more comfy and we had our own tv. My sister couldn't be there since she's pregnant and we don't want her to catch anything at the hospital. While we were waiting, my mom told me a bunch of stories I'd never heard before. We were watching TV and there was a program on about how a lot of the fast food that say '8grams of fat!' 'only 7 grams of fat!' actually can have a lot more or a lot less depending on how the worker makes it. My mom starting telling me a story about her parent's old bakery. In the 60's the government told them they had to display all the ingredients in the breads, pizza, donuts, etc and how many calories each one had. Well, they didn't have the money to get it tested, so they asked another place in town if they could just copy their numbers! So, that's what they did. Those wacky kids.

Thanks to everyone for your emails about my dad. As long as infection doesn't set in, I think he's going to be ok.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home