Speck Of Texas

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

So not enjoying growing up

This year has not been fun. I do not like this whole 29th year. I hurt my knee in Italy which is still giving me problems on stairs (pop! pop! pop!), I've got more gray hair (thanks mom!) and I had a root canal last week on one of the crowns I got last year (thanks fricking tooth fairy!). Argh. When I told people I was going in for a root canal, EVERYONE was like 'oh you poor dear! that's horrible!!!'. I was expecting some major pain and all around unpleasantness. I assumed if it was that bad I'd be prescribed some narcotics like vicodin and I was actually looking forward to that part. I've never had real pain killers before and was interested to see what it felt like. But, I think they've improved the technique over the past years. They didn't give me any pain killers at all afterwards, and really, I didn't need them.

This was my first root canal and I've got to say, it wasn't that bad. On a scale of 1-10 on pain/freakiness, I'd give it a 4. I was so numbed up I didn't feel much, though the sensations and pressure I felt were squicky when the doc was measuring how deep the roots were and then digging them out. That was just weird. Luckily I brought my mp3 player, so I just turned the volume up when he got the drill going. I have to go back next week to get the rest of it done (they do it in two sessions). All in all, not that bad.

Saturday was Orientation at the shelter. It felt like I'd just done it the week before. It didn't help that Feb is such a short month. Had 15 people for the cats, and a few stayed afterwards which is always a good sign of commitment. That afternoon ANK had a book swap at Jeff & Judy's house. Got some mysteries for my dad and fantasy books for me. Not a bad haul. I brought some books too and a few VHS tapes I had around. Mike had heard of a new gelato place nearby so he, Annette and I went to try it out. No no no. It was NOT the right kind. There are two ways to make gelato. The real Italian way (hot process) or the sucky Americanized way (cold process) and usually people in America don't know the difference. But, after we got back from Italy Mike found a gelato place in RR that did it exactly like the Italians. Texture, flavor, creaminess, everything was right on. We found out last week that it had closed down. (whimper) Now Mike's on a quest to find another gelato place that does it right. So far, no luck.

Later that night we hooked up with Jayne and Matt to watch Snakes on a Plane. If I want a campy monster movie I'll stick with Tremors. It wasn't a great movie, a good movie, or a bad movie. That was the problem. They were trying to be cheesy but just didn't make it. Jayne's attendance was an added bonus cause she pointed out a bunch of stuff on the plane that we wouldn't have noticed. She also did an awesome job of the flight attendant 'here are the exits, here is your seat belt, etc'. I was cracking up.

Sunday I went to the State of TX Art Fair with Jeff and Judy. It was downtown and we were there for about two hours. Saw lots of cool local artisans. I purchased a couple of necklaces and a pottery soap dispenser that will go perfectly in my guest bathroom. Jeff & Judy bought three paintings and a pretty glass mushroom with ladybugs on it for their garden. I love going to art fairs. It wasn't too crowded since the Kite Festival was that day too, so we were able to browse at our leisure and not get pushed around by people. I'm on the lookout for a painting for over my fireplace, but so far no luck.


Have you heard the 'Bud Light Real Men of Genius' radio ads? I love them. There's one for 'Mr. Way Too Proud of Texas Guy'. Someone on YouTube put some images with it. It's funny cause it's true!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apMyjOAacyA

1 Comments:

  • I saw the preview for Snakes on a Plane and thought that moviemakers must be getting pretty desperate for themes if that's what they're coming up with now. and after your review, I'm pretty sure I won't make a trip to the theater for it!

    By Blogger inertbat, at 12:01 AM, April 18, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home