Speck Of Texas

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Boom Boom Boom

After I dropped off Andrea at the airport on Monday I called into work to see if my boss needed me to come in for anything. She said no, but hey did I want two free tickets to a show at the Paramount? Hell yes! She won them in a raffle one of our staffing firms does every once in a while but couldn't go. The tickets were for the Kodo Drummers that were only playing one night. It's a troupe of drummers from Japan that put on amazing shows with all types of drums, including the huge ones that guys sit in front of. (see pictures to get an idea) The place was sold out. I had never been to the Paramount so that was a plus too. It's a really old theater that has balconies and beautiful murals painted on the ceiling....and really really tiny seats. Jayne came with me, and she's 5'10". Her shins were pressed against the row of chairs below us. I'm only 5'4" and it was pretty tight. Luckily I was near the end of a row and no one was beside me so I could sit a little sideways to stretch out. I don't know what really tall people do. It was an amazing show. As interesting as the drums were, I didn't want to buy a CD. I think for that type of performance the fact that you're seeing it live really makes it that much more enjoyable. Being there and feeling the vibrations of the drums going through you and through the seats was incredible. What really impressed me was the synchronization. One segment had seven drummers sitting on the floor. The middle guy started doing a very light tap tap tap. One by one the others joined in, but they were exactly on time so for awhile you didn't realize it was more than one person. The beats were exactly on. Then one would play off beat and it was fun trying to figure out who was playing the piece, they kept switching and then playing the main beat. Very creative.




These guys had some amazing abs. It's like holding a situp for a few minutes while beating your arms. Now that's a workout!
This was Jayne's favorite part. The flexing of his butt muscles was quite distracting.
Big drums. Loud noise.

2 Comments:

  • Cool! I've never seen that particular taiko group because they're from so far up north, but there's one down here that I really like. The shows are kind of expensive though so I've only been a few times. Yeah, a CD wouldn't do the show justice. Feeling the vibrations shuddering through your bones is what makes it so great!

    By Blogger inertbat, at 10:09 PM, March 03, 2007  

  • And oh yeah, you did send two tapes of Heroes so thanks! I liked the last half of Buffy's S7 but the first part with crazy Spike wasn't so good. I guess I'm not missing out on much from not seeing them again :) A while ago I was browsing a used bookstore and they were selling Buffy's S2 for about $150. Are they that expensive in the States?

    By Blogger inertbat, at 10:14 PM, March 03, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home