Speck Of Texas

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Whereabouts

I really hope I’m never suspected of a crime. “So, where were you last weekend?” Uh….let me think…..I should probably check what I wrote in my blog! Heh. My memory is becoming such a wasteland. What did I do weekend before last? I have no idea. I know sometime in the past couple weeks I hung out with Joan, went to brunch with Nathan and Tony, watched Superman Returns at Mike & Annette’s (horrible movie), hung out with Melanie, ….but I can’t remember when all that was! So sad. Oh, and I did get my new roof – it looks awesome!

Saturday was new volunteer orientation at the shelter. Feb is always our biggest month. I think it’s cause people make New Year’s Resolutions to volunteer more, but January is just too early for them to get organized, so they start in Feb. We had 24 cat volunteers and 40 dog volunteers. That’s double what we usually have for cats. Luckily I have a new helper – she’s a new volunteer that started last month but is very gung-ho about it. She helped me do the tour part. She said she’ll help from now on, which is wonderful. It’s only once a month. I stuck around for a few hours afterwards and played with some of the new cats. I don’t have any favorites right now. But, every once in a while we’ll get in a really cool cat and I have to remind myself that three is absolutely my limit.

After I got home from the shelter Matt called and I went over to Mike & Annette’s to watch UHF with Weird Al. It’s one of Mike’s fav movies, and I’d seen it probably 10 years ago. Matt had never seen it. It was funnier than I remember. They never show it on TV though, don’t know why.

Sunday was the annual ‘un-superbowl party’ that one of the No Kidding members throws (instead of watching the game we just watch commercials). It wasn’t an actual No Kidding event, so there were a bunch of people I hadn’t met. There were probably 50 people scattered around the house, upstairs and down. Upstairs was so packed and rather warm, downstairs family room was for people actually watching the game. I ended up hanging out in the kitchen with some of the No Kidding members, including a girl that just started coming to events and is pretty cool.

Her name is Jayne and she is my absolute favorite bachlorette. She’s a pilot for a private airline – she basically flies rich people around, but can’t really tell us any stories cause of the NDAs she’s signed. We chatted for a bit, and she mentioned that she was going shooting Monday night at an indoor range that has ‘Ladies Night’ on Mondays – ½ off the lane fee and free gun rental with purchase of ammunition. I hadn’t been to an indoor range since St Louis, so we made a date to meet up. We met for dinner and then went to her house for a little bit before going to the range. She’s got a house that she designed on a golf course and it is gorgeous. She also has a pool table (score!). So, we went to the range and I rented a .45 and she brought her 9mm Sig. I just did 50 rounds on the .45. Those things are just too big for me. But, I loved her 9mm. It’s a lot thinner than the ones Matt has and it fit my hand really well. I was kicking ass on the targets. Ok, yes it was only 15ft away, but I was getting some really good clusters. The only bad thing about her gun is that the reason it’s so slim is that there’s only one row of bullets. So, it only holds 8 at a time. As soon as I was getting into my stance and getting comfortable with my grip I would run out of bullets and have to reload. That was kind of annoying.

We were only there for an hour and then went back to Jayne’s house to play pool. While I was over there I helped her re-hang a painting that was crooked and had been bugging her. That’s one thing that sucks about living alone – it hard to do some things around the house with only one pair of hands. She also has some rooms she needs to paint and some boxes she needs to move to her garage attic. I told her to call me anytime to help, cause I know how it’s tough sometimes to ask people to help out with stuff like that. It also helps to have someone motivating you, saying ‘ok, let’s get this done!’ That’s what friends are for, right? Luckily I have my parents in town so I’ve been able to take advantage of them for some of that type of stuff.

Well damn, that’s a long post!

1 Comments:

  • It's usually pretty hard making friends, but you seem to have no problem meeting great people. I've gotta get out there and start meeting some, too!

    By Blogger inertbat, at 4:40 AM, February 16, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home