Speck Of Texas

Saturday, May 20, 2006

Pics of Finished Backsplash

Ok, here you go! Now I just have to paint and put in new hardware! Heh, that'll probably take another three months.

Here is an 'in progress' shot. It wasn't hard, it just took time trying to find the right pieces. It was actually kinda spooky how some of the pieces fit so perfectly into weirdly shaped spaces. Besides a small portion in this corner that Melanie did, I put up every other piece of tile. I'm really proud of how it turned out. Any project where I don't have to measure and make everything even is my kind of project!



Here's a picture of putting the grout up. It took my parents and I four hours, and we had to make two batches of grout. It wasn't as hard as I thought it'd be. My dad and I put up the grout, and my mom came behind us and scraped off the excess and sponged off the remaining cloudiness.



Finally done!! Yes, I know my stove is ugly. It's the only remaining thing that came with the house, and since I don't cook much, I can't bring myself to spend money on a new one. I LOVE my switch covers. I can't believe how lucky I was to find them! The green tile goes so perfectly with the mosaic. Lowes has been very good to me for finding cool stuff. I'm getting the hardware from there too, but it has to be special ordered.



Yes, I was going to do some cool starburst above the oven....and this is what I ended up doing. i think it looks okay, though.



I'm going to put some molding around the pass-through space. My neighbor has a nice woodwork shop and he said he'll let me use his miter (sp?) saw to cut the pieces at an angle to make it look like a frame.



This is the part I'm CHOOSING TO NOT LET BOTHER ME. After I was done, I noticed how often I have the gold and light green pieces together. Argh! Oh well.

3 Comments:

  • Hey there! I don't see what you're so worried about. The green and yellow pieces next to each other don't stand out at all, even when I tried looking for them. Job well done!

    By Blogger inertbat, at 2:16 AM, May 27, 2006  

  • Looks really good. I have to agree with inertbat; I think the green/gold issue is one of proximity--since you worked on it for so long you nitpick your own work. With all the repair work going on around here, I feel your pain. By the way--John called me and setup some more searches online for houses and there is one I like. I plan to be out in Austin in maybe 2 or 3 weeks based on what happens here with the condo. My hope is that we have an offer so I can just do regular funding with Nicole since the bridge loans seem a little dicey. We had some people look at the condo on Saturday; they liked it so well they wanted to give me a deposit and are supposedly writing up an offer as we speak. More people are scheduled to visit tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:26 AM, June 01, 2006  

  • Thanks guys!

    Can't wait for you to be out here, Nathan!

    By Blogger Speck, at 10:34 PM, June 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home