Speck Of Texas

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Two weeks of what

My mom's birthday was a couple weeks ago. We all got together at AM's and had a big barbeque. We realized that next year she'll be 60, I'll be 30, and my brother-in-law will be 40. So, we're going to do a trip to Vegas to celebrate. I haven't been to Vegas in a couple years, so I hope we do it. Love roulette.

Saturday I went into the shelter and we had some good adoptions. We have some really beautiful cats right now, so I think our turnover will be short. Orientation is next Saturday and I hope we get a good group. Sunday I slept in a little and then did three hours of yard work. Can I say how much I HATE yardwork? I like edging and pruning cause it's so destructive, but I despise weeding and mowing. Thank god for self-propelled lawn mowers. Just hit the lever and away you go! Both of my yards are so frickin huge, I would die if I had to push it around the whole thing. Oh, and yes, I did buy a guest bedroom set. It's so cute! I found a great set on sale and everything fits just fine. I just need to put the curtains up now.

Sometimes it's depressing when you see all these movie remakes. They remade the Poseidon Adventure. Did they really have to do that? If you haven't seen the original, add it to your Netflix list. It's really good. I heard a rumor they want to remake Westworld (add that too!). It's like just cause we have such great special effects now, everything should be redone. I still can't believe Lucas redid Star Wars/Return/Empire with the new special effects and won't even release the originals. There's something to be said for the feel and romanticism of the original special effects. The Last Starfighter, Krull, Back to the Future, Flash Gordon, and all those great Sci Fi movies from the 50s could all be redone now with better effects, but should they? (War of the Worlds - I'm looking at you) Why can't we just enjoy the originals? It's like the public ignores anything old and just wants things new and shiny. I'm also depressed that Austin doesn't even have a true oldies music station. There's a couple that play some 60's/70's, but I don't think anyone does 50's. ....I don't want to get into this now. It angers up the blood.

4 Comments:

  • The 50's are hard to find music wise everywhere nowadays. But I am sure there were people who noticed when Big Band went away from radio play too. Stand firm on the 50's babe! Yes I too am upset Posideon got remade...in fact I was so upset I went and got the original and Towering Inferno on DVD

    By Blogger jayeofmanyhats, at 4:36 PM, May 05, 2006  

  • Right now I'm making enough to live comfortably, but a friend asked if I'd be interested in living at her grandmother's house in Beppu rent-free. If I end up moving, then that'll let me save up enough to be able to take off work for a while and visit you! Of course I'd love to come out for a visit. I'm planning on being here for at least until next October, and longer if I can find a sponsor for another VISA. I go through phases, and for a while I've been in a "love life in Japan" groove, but you never know, that could change.

    So what kinds of stuff have you planted? I found out that gladiolus bulbs will sprout year after year which was nice to hear :)

    By Blogger inertbat, at 9:53 AM, May 07, 2006  

  • Hey...they ARE going to release the originals of Star Wars..in September for a limited time till December.. Yay!

    By Blogger Sherry, at 11:43 AM, May 07, 2006  

  • Wow, Lucas actually bowed to fan pressure to release the originals?? I'm shocked. I hope they aren't too expensive. I still have the original VHS box set.

    By Blogger Speck, at 4:55 PM, May 07, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home