Speck Of Texas

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Another fun day at work

I had an unfortunate incident today at work. There's a girl in the office - let's call her 'Dipsy' - that is in charge of one of the clinic staffs as well as marketing and hospital relations. Now, I understand that she's very busy and has a lot going on. As part of her marketing duties she was in charge of designing the letterhead and business cards after we got nifty new logos a few months ago. Well, back in March we knew a new doctor would be joining the practice. I did not order business cards for him because there was some special credentialing info that had to be on there. I checked in with Dipsy several times to see if she wanted me to handle it. She said no. So, seven months later, the doctor has now joined our group and he does not yet have business cards. Last week she finally asked me to handle the order. She gave me the new information and the design changes that would be needed. I put in the order and got a proof back. Some changes needed to be made so I alerted our supply company to those. I wasn't 100% sure if I would be getting new proofs or if they would just put the order in. So, as of this morning, I wasn't sure when the cards would be in. I had left a couple messages with our supplier but had not received a call. Ok - here's the story. Every Wed the doctors have a board meeting in our office. That's really the only time we see the doctors. The new doc stopped by my office to ask when the b-cards would be in. Since I wasn't sure, I said 'two weeks.' I'd prefer to give a longer timeline and then surprise him with an early delivery rather than say 'next week' and have to extend it. He's a pretty cool guy so he wasn't too pissed off, but he was surprised and said 'two weeks??' kinda loudly. Dipsy, next door, heard that and came over. 'Is it really going to take two weeks?' she asked. The doc kinda muttered that they should have been ordered by now. Dipsy said again 'can't they get here sooner? I can't believe it'll take two weeks!' I could not believe she was making it out that is was my fault he didn't have his cards. So, in front of him she kind of berates me for not doing it sooner. I told the doc that I would call the supplier and put a rush on it. And then I just stared at her. I think she understood my 'are you fucking kidding me?' look I had on my face because she shut up. As soon as the doc left, she said that she had told my boss that she took full responsiblity for the late order of the cards. Of course, she didn't say that to the doctor. She just blamed me. Whatever. I really wanted to say in front of the doctor 'Well, Dipsy, you had seven months to order the cards. Why didn't this get done sooner?' But, I didn't because that would be childish and unprofessional. No need to get into a confrontation in front of the new doc. Unlike some of the other employees, I really don't give a damn what the docs think of me. I know my boss depends on me, and I work for her, not the docs. I wasn't worried that he would think badly of me. I was just pissed off at how back-stabbing and unprofessional Dipsy was being.

I stayed late tonight working on stuff. When my boss came over and saw the proofs on my desk, she said 'Isn't Dipsy handling this?' I then informed her that no, I had been asked to do this for her (which I was fine with doing) and I also told her what happened today. Let's just say that my boss likes me a whole lot more than Dipsy. I think it's because we're both Scorpios so we're both critical and sarcastic bitches. After hearing the story my boss gets pissed off because she didn't even know Dipsy had pawned this off on me. My boss had even asked Dipsy for status on it and she said 'oh I think they'll be in next week'. I didn't want to be a tattle-tale, but I just couldn't believe how Dipsy purposefully tried to make me look bad in front of a doc.

It's kinda fun to see my boss enraged. I'm the only one in the office she can vent to, so I hear everything that pisses her off. And, she gets pissed off pretty easily. Almost every day she comes in my office and closes the door just to bitch a little.

One really great thing that happened today is that I'm getting a bonus! One of the employees that does credentialing and contracting for the doctors is quitting and moving to Dallas. So, I am now being put in charge of the credentialing part. That's basically getting hospital priviledges and renewing licenses. It's a ton of paperwork. I was also given part of someone else's job a few months ago for supply ordering and call schedule management. Today was a big training day for credentialing and it's a bit overwhelming. I joked to my boss that we were going to need to have a talk about my raise. An hour later she comes in and says there's nothing she can do about a raise now - it'll be in Jan, but, how about a bonus? Cool! And, if I'm doing the work of three people, at least I'll be getting some good overtime in too! Don'tcha just love time and a half?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home