Speck Of Texas

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

A very random, unexpected email

Ok, something very odd happened yesterday. I got an email in my junk box with the subject So where are you now (my name)? I didn't recognize the email address but figured it was a real email since my name was spelled right. But, there was no 'name' of the sender - just the email address. So, I click on it and it said this: just a quick hello from an old friend at Wash U :)

That's it. No greeting, no identification. What's up with that? What kind of person sends a 'hi what's up' email after six years and doesn't even say who it's from? Is it some kind of test? Weird. I looked at the email address and thought 'what kind of person would send this email'? And then I figured it out. For some reason I remember people's middle names. The email address was just MHW99. For three years in college I had a huge crush on a guy and I'm 99% sure those were his initials.

Before I continue, let me explain something. It was my habit in high school and college to find one cute guy in every class so I could look at them when the class/teacher got boring. It's a great way to not fall asleep. Wash U had a lot of cute guys!

So, first semester I had a few classes with MHW. I don't even remember how we got to know each other but we did a lot of study groups together with other people. I knew he was just using me for help with homework and studying but I didn't mind. Showing somebody how to do the work and discussing it in groups helped me to learn. He was not the brightest person, but he was tall and had long dark hair (which is my weakness! - sorry Jay!). He was a bit of a snob and I guess he came from money cause he made a big deal about coming from Westchester county in NY. I didn't even know what that meant! (Thanks to Law & Order, found out later it was the upperclass area). Yes, he doesn't sound like the greatest guy, but he was just so cute. Oh well. By senior year I was living off campus and had a job and other things to focus on. I don't even remember if we had any classes together, but I was completely over him by then. I know he knew I liked him those few years. It's very difficult to hide that kind of thing and I probably made a bit of a fool out of myself. I choose to not let that bother me. And quite honestly, I haven't given him a thought in six years (unlike T.C. who y'all know I've thought about for 11 years!) So, needless to say, I was very surprised to get that email!

Long story short (too late!) I responded back, mentioning the lack of signature, said where I was, what I was doing, and how I thought I knew who he was. I then said it was his turn to say what he'd been up to. He responded with this: i have to say you have a good memory and or that was an amazing out of the blue guess- i am not sure if i had this email back then so maybe it was just a reminder....im impressed.

Once again, no signature. The paranoid thing is that I'm not 100% sure it's really him since neither of us have said his name. How crazy is this? It's just so out of the blue and I almost feel like he's just playing with me. And really, do I care what he's been up to? I'm not sure. I responded, and he hasn't replied yet. It's all just very unexpected. I really didn't feel I'd ever hear from him again, so I just didn't think about him. He probably won't even reply.

**Edited to add: just looked at the Wash U alumni page. Yup, that's his email. I guess that's where he got mine too.

2 Comments:

  • It appears that you now have a stalker. This is excellent news--it means you've hit the big time. If he's as wealthy as you think, invite him over. I'll help you steal his wallet, drain his bank account, and assume his identity. By the end of the week we'll be pimpin' it hard core in Westchester County. And that's some real talk! An BTW...in regards to the other post...f**k Christians who impose their ways on others. (Notice the stars--simply so children will still be able to read your blog).

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:44 PM, September 27, 2005  

  • Well it wasn't me...how ya doing??? Haven't seen most of you in a decade or so. Though I did see Nathan once at the Moonlight Classic. I shoulda said hi.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:36 AM, September 28, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home