Speck Of Texas

Friday, September 09, 2005

....blah

I'm going into the shelter tomorrow. I'm not sure if we'll be open to the public or not. They've been closed all week because of the Katrina animals they've taken in. It's going to be crazy. I sent out a mass email to everyone I know, trying to get donations to help out. I've become very cynical about the Red Cross. I heard that they only gave out a fifth of the 9/11 fund. I heard they are keeping the rest as a 'war fund'. I didn't give money to a 'war fund' - I gave money to help out those people that lost loved ones and homes that day. So, I prefer to give money to local agencies where you are more sure of where that money is actually going.

I'm listening to the NIN With Teeth CD. It's ok. I'm half way through. I'd definitely listen to it again (unlike the Fragile), but it's not as good as Pretty Hate Machine. I love that new Spoon 'I Turn My Camera On'. I'm gonna listen to the other samples on Amazon. I may have to buy it - and I HATE buying CDs just for one song. We'll see.
**ok, just listened to the other songs. Wow, they really, really suck. Guess I'll just have to buy that one song sometime. :-(

At work today I was doing a lot of 10-key work which reminded me about my childhood. My mom used to do some of the accounting for my dad's business and she was always doing 10-key. I was so enthralled by how fast her fingers would hit the numbers. I used to make her write me lists of numbers that I could input. It's certainly come in handy now. I love doing 10-key. My mind just goes blank and my fingers move without really thinking about it. It's fun. Very calming.

I'm trying to find a second job. I need some extra money. The house I bought last year was at the top of my price range. The main reason I bought it was that it was about to be foreclosed on and was priced $10,000 less than it should've. I love this house, but my finances are not working out as they should. I'm also spending way too much money, and I know I have to work on that. I don't understand how people can afford to go out partying every weekend. Usually my friends and I do cheap stuff, mainly just hanging out, getting something from Netflix. And yet the money just goes and goes. I'm not really saving anything. I miss the money I used to make as a consultant. I'm making like half now. My boss said I'll probably get a raise in January, but it'd better be a lot. I'm making myself pretty damn indispensable, and I know she likes me. I'm as anal about details as she is, and we get along well. If the raise in January is crap I'll have to have a talk with her. I know my worth. I'm trying to find something for nights or the weekend. I'll probably check in with some staffing agencies and see what they have.

1 Comments:

  • Pretty Hate Machine is still the best album NIN have ever made. But I would put With Teeth as second best easily.
    I understand about the money problem, sometimes I think I should just quit theatre and go out and get a "real job." But then I really don't know if mentally I could handle it.

    By Blogger jayeofmanyhats, at 11:13 AM, September 12, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home