Speck Of Texas

Thursday, September 01, 2005

And here I go again

Well, I may as well give this the old college try.

A couple of weeks ago I went to my 10 year high school reunion in CA. I know most people lose touch with high school friends, but I'm pretty good about calling every once in a while and checking in. I knew my close group was going to go (I practically bullied them into it). You have to have a safety net at things like this, right? Why I really wanted to go was to see all the other people I'd lost touch with. Had they gained 200lbs? Three husbands? Ten kids? I basically look the same from high school so I didn't think people would be going 'oh my god! look at her!'

So, we went. And paid a ridiculous $83 for the tickets. For that price we were all expecting something pretty grandiose (but really, how grandiose can Stockton be?). A couple of my friends got a suite at the hotel for hanging out before and after. We met up there and walked to the banquet room together (safety in numbers). Basically, the whole thing was so lame. I did meet up with some good friends I'd lost touch with, but it was crazy how we segregated ourselves at the tables. Our two tables had the smart kids and theater kids. All the other tables were the popular people. Out of a class of approx 300 only 60 showed up. With spouses it was about 100 people. And, I couldn't care less about them. Did I want to know what the star quaterback was up to now? I thought I did, but once I got there - no, I really didn't. I tried to mingle, tried to be social. But after three hours, I was done. There was a horrible DJ playing Sir Mix-A-Lot and MC Hammer. No Nirvana, no Pearl Jam. Whatever. My group went back to our suite and I must say 'go me!'. Good idea on getting that suite. There were about 16 people there just hanging out. Some of us were up till 4:30am. And it wasn't just all lame reminiscing. Just nice people having a good time. No one getting stupid drunk or doing drugs. There's a lot to be said for just hanging out.

So that night began my four day spree of staying up late and hanging out with people I hadn't seen in years - and one guy I didn't even remember from high school, but was cute, so hey ok. In a way, I'm sorry I don't live in my hometown anymore. But when it comes down to it, I am so much happier in Austin. I just need to work more on getting people to move here!

As excited as I was about the reunion (and I was REALLY excited..don't know why) I don't think I'll be going to another one. We can just have all of our group get together in our own reunion. For $83 a pop we can have one cool party. Excuse me....a hella cool party. :-)

2 Comments:

  • Hey glad to be your first post! You do realize I will link your blog to mine now. It meant a lot to me getting to hang out with you guys, otherwise I would have left back to the theatre about fifteen minutes in. TTYL

    By Blogger jayeofmanyhats, at 1:33 PM, September 01, 2005  

  • I forgot to tell you, I have the picture of us standing in front of BCHS posted on my BLOG now. If you can send me your pics when you get the developed that would be great thanks.

    By Blogger jayeofmanyhats, at 3:03 PM, September 01, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home