Speck Of Texas

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Rock Climbing Fools

Friday night was Party Game Night for ANK and Mike hosted. He/Annette are doing Movie Night as usual, but also offered to do this month's Party Game, which was nice of them. I sent out an email to the group that I'd be having dinner at Domenick's and anyone was welcome to join me. Well, heh...it ended up being our 'usual' group. Gil and Mike/Annette met me for dinner and then Matt joined us later for the games. So, uh, yeah, it was like a normal gathering at Mike's. I guess people didn't want to drive all the way out to Cedar Park two Friday's in a row. Poor Mike! I've hosted 4 times and I usually get 13-16 people. Maybe they just like playing with my cats! Anyways, we ended up playing Wii for a couple hours - I LOVE Mortal Kombat! and then we watched Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure. Hadn't seen it in so many years, I'd forgotten most of it. It actually was still a cute movie. Party On Dude!

Saturday my dad took the family out to lunch and I was over there for a few hours. I had mentioned on Friday maybe going to see Stardust at the theater, but just wasn't in the mood to go out. Maybe I'll catch it in CA this week.

On Sunday Mike/Annette and Matt invited me to go swimming with them at Lake Travis. There are some coves where people go rock climbing up the cliff and then jump into the water. I really had no idea what to expect. I thought maybe there'd be a ledge or something to leave our stuff or to sit on, but nope. Mike brought one of his kayaks and two inner tubes to hold water and other stuff. Then, basically we were in the water for three hours straight. It was fun watching them climb out of the water and then fall/jump back in. They're all pretty experienced and they got really high! On one wall I think they got up 30 feet. I tried it on one wall and damn, rock climbing is hard! I couldn't find a foothold in the water to stand on or push myself up. I just had on my cheap pool shoes (you know the kind with mesh on top and hard soles) and I kept slipping on the algae on the rocks. Mike lent me his rock-climbing shoes and that was quite a difference! I was able to get myself completely out of the water and held myself up while Mike took a picture with his awesome waterproof camera (same one he took to Italy). I'll post pictures later. I tried going higher but just couldn't find foot holds, and then I fell back into the water. That was enough for me. It was really hard to find good handholds that my fingers wouldn't slip off of. The pads of my fingers are scraped raw from slipping. Later Mike and Matt found a way to climb up a 50 ft (estimate) cliff and then they jumped from the top into the water. Annette and I cheered them on from the safety of the lake. It was a pretty long jump!

Inevitably, I got really sunburned. Being in the water the whole time, I didn't have an opportunity to reapply the sunscreen. Luckily I wore an old baseball hat so my face just got a little tanned but not burned. I don't think my arms will peel. Hopefully it'll fade to a tan in time for Heidi's wedding on Saturday. I plan on going to Santa Cruz and Monterey while I'm out there, so I'll probably get tanner (more tan?) out there too.

Yes, I'm going to bed now. I'll hopefully get the pics from Mike tomorrow. I bought a nifty 4GB flash drive so I can just copy the pictures to that and not waste a CD.

1 Comments:

  • What a coincidence, someone just recently reminded me about a scene from Bill and Ted that I'd completely forgotten about. I should rent it sometime.

    I'm so jealous of your friends! Rock climbing and jumping off cliffs sounds like so much fun!

    By Blogger inertbat, at 9:52 AM, August 23, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home