Speck Of Texas

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

There's a whole nother world out there

Let's ignore the fact that I've been piss-poor about posting and just jump right in, shall we?

Since Melanie had Ian so early she was never thrown a baby shower. Usually those things are in the seventh or eighth month. You want to wait to make sure there isn't a miscarriage, which typically happens early if it's gonna happen. Melanie had Ian at 25 weeks. But, now he's up to 5 pounds and it slated to come home in mid-July. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to throw it or not. In my experience it's been family that's thrown the shower. Well, I received an invitation for her baby shower being thrown on Sunday the 24th. I just assumed it was being thrown by friends/family. I really didn't think much of it. But, when I arrived it was all church people. I was way under-dressed. Several of the women were in dresses and others were in nice Sunday church clothes. Well, this being Austin, I was in jeans. Luckily, I did have a very pretty tank top on that I had worn at Sarah's picnic wedding reception. Unfortunately, it showed off my arm tattoo, so I got some strange looks. Everyone was asking me who I was (politely). I was the only non-church person there, and none of Melanie's family were there cause they're all out of town. It was even weirder when I realized Melanie didn't know everyone there. I guess a bunch of church people got together to throw it for them without really knowing Melanie and Dan. Benefits of being good church-going people I guess. Anyways, Melanie was unwrapping all the gifts and when she got to my HAND-MADE CROCHETED AFGHAN I just thought 'Ha! Suck it!' because you could tell they were a little surprised that I had made it. Sorry, Melanie...I was just a little out of my element there. Also, I realized how incredibly spoiled I've been with my No Kidding group (no one has kids). Everyone there were mothers and they were all talking about their kids and families, etc. Sometimes I forget that there's people out there like that! Makes me appreciate my group that much more.

1 Comments:

  • I know what you mean. Isn't it weird being in a group of people where they all have something in common and you don't? There's an automatic separation in our minds where we mark someone as different. Well, at least you got to know her better by seeing another facet of her life!

    By Blogger inertbat, at 1:17 AM, August 13, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home