Speck Of Texas

Friday, August 24, 2007

Another wedding

Saturday I drove from Gilroy (getting my In&Out fix for an early lunch!) to Stockton for Heidi's wedding. Heidi and I have known each other since first grade and although we weren't huge friends when we were young, we've become much closer the last few years. She and Bert are visiting me in December during their road-trip honeymoon.

The wedding was in a catholic church and was well organized. Amazing how all the prayers come back to you! The reception was in the hill town of Ione, about 40 minutes away. But, since I had talked to Heidi beforehand, I knew there'd be three hours between the wedding and the actual reception (time for pictures), so after the wedding I went to Panera and got my soup-in-a-bread-bowl fix. It all worked out that by the time I got to the reception they had just finished with pictures and were joining the reception. Heidi really lucked out with the weather. For mid-August it easily could've been in the 90s/100s, but instead was in the low 80s. It was so beautiful. I got a little pissed during the toasts though. It was open mike and several people were getting up and saying stuff. Everyone was talking about Bert! Even Heidi's dad told a story about him and Bert. Of course, everyone was mentioning Heidi, but no one was really focusing on her in their toasts. So, I got up and said a little something. I was really nervous, having never said a toast before and having nothing planned. I can't quite remember everything I said, but I got a couple laughs, so I guess it went over well. Her mom later thanked me for that, saying Bert's family are all passionate Portuguese and Heidi's family were 'quiet Norwegians'. Heh. Glad I could be of service. The reception started around 5:30 but by 8 they hadn't cut the cake or thrown the bouquet. I had to drive an hour and half to Concord to stay with Kim so I cut out early. When I left they were doing the money dance. I wanted to dance with Heidi like I did at Kim's wedding, but the line was really long and I had to get going.


1 Comments:

  • Congrats on your first toast! I've never heard of an open mike toast before, but I guess it doesn't work if they're all toasting the groom.

    By Blogger inertbat, at 6:17 AM, August 24, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home