Speck Of Texas

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

300...six pack of abs

Saturday I went into the shelter for a bit and then met up with Tony and Nathan down south. We went to dinner at Logan's Roadhouse and I must say that's got to be one of the best meals I have ever had. Extremely well priced and the steak I had was perfect and the grilled squash was seasoned exactly right. Wish I had one up here, but they said the closest was in RR...ok I guess that isn't that far from me. Need to take some of the ANK folks up there sometime.
After dinner we saw 300. We bought our tickets before dinner cause I'd heard how much it'd been selling out and I didn't want us to have to rush through dinner or stand in line. It's a good thing we did get tickets cause our showing completely sold out. Damn, was that movie good. I don't know if it was special effects, prosthetics, makeup, or just good old fashioned working out, but there was some major eye candy walking around in that movie. Every single guy playing a Spartan was ripped. And having them in tiny leather codpieces with a long red cape just helped sell the whole visual. Won't get into it too much since there's been a lot on TV about it, but I will say that I appreciated that the director stayed in one angle for a lot of the action. I hate a lot of the new movies where the camera angles keep changing and the frames are flashing during a fight/action scene. I don't know if they're trying to heighten the tension and drama, but it usually looks to me like they couldn't choreograph a decent scene so they had to just show quick cuts. I'd much rather have a scene where you can see the action play out. They did that quite well with 300. Ok, yes it's a lot of blood, but c'mon, it's CGI blood! And the sword/shield fighting sequences were just amazing. I don't think I'd buy it, but I'd definitely see it again. I don't know what the Iranians are fussing about either. It takes place in like 400 BC when it was Persia and yeah, they're the bad guys, but I didn't think they were portrayed that maliciously. They're just playing it up so the world can get angry at America again. Like they ever need a reason. It's all so stupid.

Sunday we had a pre-Easter dinner at my parent's house since they'll be in CA during Easter. It was good seeing everyone. I can't believe they have my 4 yr old nephew in therapy, but whatever. So glad I'm never having kids. He was acting up, and my sister mentioned talking to some other parents about how kids these days 'have no fear'. My mom replied that's cause she's not getting up and making him stop doing what she was asking him to stop doing. So many parents these days are such wimps. My sister said it's 'easier' to let him have his way. I really hope he doesn't grow into a spoiled brat.

1 Comments:

  • I've never heard of 300 but will keep an eye out for it.

    I was just talking with a friend about how parents these days don't slap their children's hands or pinch their legs because they consider it abusive (I don't agree with hitting kids on the head or going as far as leaving bruises). But for most kids at that age, it's the only way they'll understand not to do something because they're incapable of relating to other people's emotions and understanding words. If you ask me, kids are getting rowdier because they don't have limits and can do whatever they want. What does a 4year old do in therapy?

    By Blogger inertbat, at 12:28 AM, April 18, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home