Speck Of Texas

Thursday, March 22, 2007

Ian's already causing problems

After getting off work today I was in the mood to do something so I called Melanie. I hadn't seen her in a while though we'd emailed a couple times last week. I called her and said 'Hey, watcha doing?'. She responds with 'Nothing much. I'm in the HOSPITAL.'. Ok, those are my capitals. Luckily she was at NAMC which is just a few minutes from my work. I got there in about 10 minutes and she gave me the scoop.

She's in her 24th week of pregnancy and has dangerously high blood pressure (possibly preeclampsia, though she was vague if it was that or just high blood pressure). She had her normal doctor checkup yesterday and the doctor basically told her to go home, pack a bag, and come back to the hospital - it was that high. They wanted to keep her overnight and test her again today. But, today she was still high and now there's a chance she might be on bed rest in the hospital for the rest of the pregnancy (3 months if the baby's brought to term). She'll find out tomorrow if it'll be bed rest. She has to stay in the hospital because if her blood pressure gets to a certain level, they'll induce the delivery of the baby immediately. The neonatal doctor said 24 weeks is ok, but 25 is better (and certainly any more time is always a good thing when growing a baby). They've given her steriod shots to develop his lungs in case he does have to come early. I was there for over two hours just keeping her company. She didn't want me to bring anything cause she didn't want to get 'comfortable' in case she can go home tomorrow. Uh yeah, I don't think that's happening. They took her blood pressure a couple times while I was there and she didn't want to know the numbers. I saw them, and they were really high. And since Melanie reads this, I won't say the numbers. She knows they were high. I told her to call me tomorrow and let me know what they say. I'll bring some books and stuff to keep her busy and she does have cable tv. The sucky thing is that her room doesn't have a wireless connection - only dial up. If she had wireless she'd be able to work on her laptop doing her QA testing. She can't do testing over dial up, so she's unsure of what her company is going to do if she is on bedrest for the next few months. And when I say bedrest, I mean BEDREST. No getting up and walking down the hall, only a few minutes for a shower, etc. They really mean you stay in bed the whole time. I would go stir crazy. At least it's really close to my work so I'll be able to visit a lot. As for the name, her husband likes Daren, she wants Ian. I vote for Ian. We were joking (rather morbidly now that I look back on it) that if she dies I'll make sure Dan names him Ian. That'll be her 'dying wish'. As it is, with all she's going through, I think she'll be able to guilt him into letting her name the baby Ian. She'll also have some good guilt-trip stories to play on when her kid's being a brat.

2 Comments:

  • wow, I wonder what's causing her high blood pressure. stressful life? salty diet?

    By Blogger inertbat, at 12:22 AM, April 18, 2007  

  • Wow, I'm famous :) Sorry, I didn't mean to be vague when you were at the hospital, but yes it was preeclampsia that I had. They don't know what causes it. The best the doctor could tell me was that some women get it and others don't, but I did meet a lot of the "risk factors" ie. preggo with my first child, Black woman, and my mother has blood pressure(even though I didn't personally have high blood pressure before)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:57 AM, April 20, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home