Speck Of Texas

Monday, July 10, 2006

A little late to the party

I finally read the DaVinci Code. Wow, that was a really good book! I thought it was well written and the plot was interesting and moved along quickly. I'll get the movie off of Netflix cause I'm not that excited about it. After reading the book I feel Tom Hanks was a horrible choice for that role. I really don't see what all the fuss is about, though. Yes, the book talks about the theory that Jesus was a real human and that he married Mary Magdalene and she had a baby. What's the big deal? I cannot believe what an uproar this book caused in the christian community. It's a FICTIONAL book! It's not even some theology book. It is written as a dramatic mystery. My dad borrowed it and he really like it too, which surprised me. He's usually very critical and dismissive. Even my roommate who goes to church every Sunday thought it was a good book and didn't know why people were so outraged. I guess the author is just laughing all the way to the bank. The book did make me go to the internet and check out the picture of the Last Supper and it IS a woman next to Jesus! Freaky.


Speaking of my roommate.....Sunday was her last day. It was one year exactly. I'll probably start looking again in August. I need to paint the kitchen cabinets first and want to get that out of the way before someone new comes in. I thought I'd have to do a lot of cleaning when she left but she washed her sheets and cleaned the bathroom really thoroughly. So, one less thing I had to do this weekend. I did edge and mow my front lawn. It looks pretty good if you ignore the fact that 25% of the green stuff you see are actually weeds. Oh well.

1 Comments:

  • Wasn't it a good book? I have another one that dissects the story into parts based on fact and those that are completely fiction.

    For me the most controversial part is how the church decided on which gospels became part of the Bible and which were ignored. And how the images of people evolved through time (or were intentionally changed?). If the Catholic Church had deliberately tried to disempower the role of women I can see how it would be pretty offensive to their followers.

    By Blogger inertbat, at 8:34 AM, July 12, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home