Speck Of Texas

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Wedding update

Hello all! Things with the wedding are progressing. We have a date set 3-27-11 and a location. We're keeping the invite list to about 35.

Because of that we're not inviting everyone under the sun...and we're asking that people don't bring their children. I just feel weddings are not the place for a lot of little kids, and we have several friends with 2-4 year olds (it's different if it's a huge wedding and you have people to corral the kids...but 35 is NOT a lot of people). As good as they think their kids are, they still get fussy, or loud, or bored, and as it's 'our' day -we'd just like to spend it with our friends and have them be relaxed and comfortable. It's only for a few hours on a Sunday morning. I told my sister and she was like 'we don't think it's right for children to not be invited to a family event, so we probably won't come'. I told her that was her decision. Frankly, it would be better if she didn't come - she's so high stress and dramatic. She has a 2 yr old and an 8 yr old and I know she has people in town that could watch her kids for a little bit. My parents got a little angry about that saying they were 'good kids'. But, you know what? I've been over to my parents last weekend and this weekend when the kids were there. The 8 yr old gets bored very quickly and then bugs his dad to come play with him, while we're sitting around the dining room table chatting. Then the 2 yr old starts her high pitched screaming/crying/general baby sounds. All I could do was look at them and think, yeah, this is why no kids. Don't you want a morning off where you can just sit and chat and be an adult without constantly filling the needs of a kid? My friend Melanie, who had the premie a couple years ago, (whom I feel if anyone could be protective/concerned/mindful of a child's needs, she would have the right to feel that way) AGREED with me that a wedding is not a place for small children. So, there it is. We're sticking to our guns.

I've asked one of my high school friends - Andrea - to be my maid of honor. Michael will just have a best man, so we'll have a nice small wedding party. One of his friends who's done about 9 weddings will be our officiant. I'll be sending out a 'save the date' email to the invitees and I'm working on the invitiations. I invited Michael's mom to come dress shopping with me since Michael's her only kid. She's coming down this weekend and Saturday me, my mom, and she will go and check out some dresses. This is where paying for the whole thing ourselves will come in handy. I can take their opinions, but I don't HAVE to do what they say, cause they're not paying for it!

I'll post pictures of the engagement ring later...want to show it to a couple more people in real life before I post it here. Don't want to spoil the surprise!

1 Comments:

  • Hey, hey now...I didn't make a blanket statement that weddings are no place for small children (we had small kids at ours), but I definitely "get it" as to why you guys don't want any there :) The no kids rule doesn't offend me (shrug)
    Either way, it will be a FABULOUS day!

    By Blogger Mel, at 9:16 PM, June 20, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home