Speck Of Texas

Monday, January 18, 2010

2009

Sigh. I keep meaning to post and then I keep getting distracted. I'm not sure if anyone checks this anymore, but here goes!

Since I did so few posts in 2009, here's a bit of a recap:
Michael and I went to CA for 2 weeks and realized we didn't want to kill each other.
Michael has moved in and all is going well so far.
For Thanksgiving we had it at my house like last year. His mom drove in from Dallas and we had something like 12 people. We had 1 regular cooked turkey and then Michael also brined and then barbequed a turkey. He didn't brine the one last year and wow, it made quite a difference. It was fantastic.
For Christmas we drove to Dallas to be with his mom. It rarely rarely snows in the Dallas area, but we just happened to be driving up on the one day they got snow. For people in the east coast/midwest a couple inches isn't a big deal. But, since they harldy ever get snow, the roads are not treated properly. They don't salt anything. They just put sand on the overpasses and that really isn't enough. Michael was driving his brand new GTI and didn't want to hit anything, so we were going fairly slow. A lot of people were driving much faster and I couldn't believe it. There were several cars that had spun out onto the median. There was NO reason to rush. So, instead of 3 1/2 hours it took almost 6. The nice thing is his mom's house is on the edge of a ravine in a private area, so when we woke up the next morning all the snow was beautiful and perfect and sparkly. I ran out and did the one thing I always have to do when I see perfect snow - I put my hand right above it and let my body heat melt an imprint of my hand. It's so fun.
For New Years we stayed in and watched the Twilight Zone Marathon. Neither of us felt like going out, so it was nice and low-key.
My car odometer is now over 100,000 miles! I'm hoping to get a few more years out of it - it's only a 2003. I'm saving a little money every month for a down payment, but I'm not looking forward to having car payments again. I'll try to put it off as long as I can.
Things in general with Michael and I are going well. I can appreciate couple humor a little more. Everytime something annoys me and I talk to some girlfriends about it, I realize that a lot of people have all the same issues! It's been interesting to figure out what are 'guy' things (in a generalized way) and what are 'Michael' things. The nice part is that he does help clean and cook. Although when he cooks it's a 2-3 hour event. I just try to get dinner on the table. So, I'll ask him to come in and help chop vegetables or something so I don't feel like I'm doing it all. I don't understand women that let their guy get away with not helping. It's one thing if she's a housewife and doesn't work. But, if both people have jobs, there's no excuse for the guy not to help. That just would not fly with me. Get off your ass and come help - I'm not your chef and I'm not your maid. Michael understands that quite well. The only thing left to fix is to get a king bed. Our queen is just a little too small. We've been working on that, but I need to find a headboard that I like first. We'll probably get that done in the next few months.

Movie reviews:

The Hangover - fucking hilarious.
Avatar - yes, it really is that cool. Yes, it is Dancing with Wolves in Space, but it's still really well done.
Daybreakers - wow, Ethan Hawke must have a lot of bills to pay. It was ok. Kinda campy
Sherlock Holmes - liked the actors, did not care at all about the plot. It did not draw me in.
Transporter 3 - as much as I LOVE Jason Statham, this movie was bad, bad, bad, bad, BAD.
Drag Me to Hell - a Sam Raimi movie - well done, good horror flick
My Kid Could Paint That - documentary about a little girl doing modern art. very good, thought provoking.
Monsters Vs Aliens - Awesome! The green blob guy was the best.
Julie & Julia - very entertaining - Meryl Streep and Stanley Tucci stole the show
Inglourious Basterds - someone stop Tarantino now! He needs an editor to come and bitch slap him a little. He is too in love with his rambling dialogue and unimportant scenes. That movie was WAY too long.
Extract - Mike Judge movie (Austinites love Mike Judge) - it was ok. We all agreed 'ok' was the term for that movie.
The Proposal - Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds - had no business being as good as it was, but it was quite enjoyable.


I'll try to keep posting!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home