Speck Of Texas

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Star Trek 40

A couple weeks ago was the 40th Anniversary of the original Star Trek. Geeks that we are, the No Kidding group put on a viewing party at Matt's house. We had 23 people! Crazy. A couple weeks before, I was getting into the spirit of things, and decided to make two cakes in the shapes of the original uniform insignia and the TNG insignia. It's good to challenge yourself sometimes. Heh. I had the brilliant idea to use molds out of aluminum foil. It worked out really well. There's no way I could have done this without aluminum foil. It made it really easy to life the cakes out after they were cooked, and it didn't stick at all to the cake. Here are pics. Really, I made two in case one came out horribly. I love having backups. Luckily, they both kicked ass. Everyone took some home, cause I sure wasn't!

Ok, since I'm not much for 'eyeballing' things, I created this mockup of four 9X13 pans to figure out the size of each piece.


Inspiration:


Final:


Inspiration:


In progress:


Without icing..this came out so good!


I didn't get a pic of this with icing...just forgot. The chocolate part had choc icing and the middle yellow had a cream cheese frosting that I tinted a light blue/green with food coloring to mimic the silver coloring.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home