Speck Of Texas

Monday, August 14, 2006

I guess more sun screen would have been warranted

Friday after work my neighbor Marsha came over and invited me on their boat Saturday. I love their boat (see blog entry from 9/18/05). So, I said OF COURSE! and then asked if I could bring a friend. She said they could fit one more since they already invited a ton of people from work. That night was game night at Mike and Annette's and I was able to invite Matt. Thought it was only fair after he took me out shooting. Luckily he was able to go. Game night was fun as always. There were 9 of us, and we played a new game called Wise and Otherwise. It's like Balderdash but instead of definitions it's old sayings. I really liked it. For example, one round would be 'There's an old Greek saying, The head is older than....' and then you have to make something up. Then everyone votes on which they think is the right ending, and points are awarded accordingly. It's the kind of game that works best with a large group. By the way, my entry for that saying was 'the ass'. I forgot what the right one was. There was also a really funny one about a rat attacking a hoe. Anways.....

Saturday Matt came over and we rode to Lake Travis with Marsha. I think we ended up being 12 people on the boat. We were out almost 8 hours. I put some sunscreen on, but damn did my back get burned. I haven't been this burned in years. I tried taking pictures of it, but they just weren't doing it justice. I guess when you're in the water for 6 hours, multiple applications would have been a good idea. I wouldn't say I'm in pain, just....discomfort. I'm looking forward to the peeling part. That's always fun.

Sunday I went into the shelter. They had a special presentation by a cat behaviorist and her discussion was very interesting. She talked about how cats really aren't territorial in the traditional definition and how they aren't truly dominant/submissive either. So, all the studies that have been based on dogs really can't be applied to cats. I think we're going to have her back to talk more about problems that people bring up to us (like litter box issues and clawing furniture). I stayed for about three hours afterwards and we had some really good adoptions. One cat-couple that had been there over five months finally got adopted. It's so hard to get the cat-couples adopted because they have to go home together. Especially right now in kitten season, people are just drawn to their cuteness and they ignore the adult cats. I try to explain that in six months your kitten will be a cat, but all they see are the big ears and big eyes and 'oh they're so cute!'. Argh.

Time! Time is what turns KITTENS into CATS!

Heh....do you know what that's from? I've been wanting to put it on a t-shirt but didn't think the shelter staff would appreciate it, since we do get so much money from kitten adoptions.

2 Comments:

  • it was good to talk to you a couple of days ago. man it has been forever since i have gotten sunburned. thank god. so i officially got my promotion at work!! yeah!! just thought that i would let you know!!
    kim

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:53 PM, August 16, 2006  

  • Ooh a boat party! None of my friends have boats to take me on boat parties (weep weep).

    By Blogger inertbat, at 1:23 PM, August 21, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home