Speck Of Texas

Saturday, August 19, 2006

Keeping busy

I actually had quite an eventful week! Tues Matt came over and we watch Hoodwinked. Have you seen it? It's computer animation, and it ROCKS. It was hilarious. It's a new take on the Little Red Riding Hood story. Thursday Nathan, Tony, and I went to the Alamo Drafthouse on Lamar and saw Clerks II. Wonderfully done. Not as good as the first, but still funny and well written. I love that they got all the original actors back. Rosario Dawson kicked ass in that movie. The only bad thing was my food was horrible. I'd never been to the Lamar location, and at all the other locations the food has always been terrific. But there, not so much. And the service sucked. Never even got a water refill. Friday was movie night at Mike and Annette's house. I successfully lobbied to get The Thin Man played. I thought it would be a small crowd, since it's an old black and white movie. But 12 people were there! Everyone seemed to enjoy it. They laughed in places that I don't usually laugh at. It's such an odd experience watching an old movie on a large screen and in a crowd. You really get a different vibe than if you just watched it alone on your small TV. Hopefully we can do some more classics.

Today I went into the shelter for a few hours and then met up with Matt to go shooting at a range in Manor. He had a couple of .45s he was thinking of buying and wanted to try them out. Damn, those are some big-ass bullets. I shot the .22 again, and could barely see the holes in the paper target. That .45 just ripped right through - huge holes. He also brought his rifle - can't remember the model but it's a type the military uses. It was really heavy! I did not like standing up with it and shooting. The recoil was weird. But, sitting down and resting the barrell on sandbags was cool. I was doing pretty good with my accuracy too. I think my shoulder's going to be sore tomorrow.

Melanie's coming over around 2 and we're going to try and get through some more Lost episodes. I need to clear out my DVR before the new TV season starts.

Have you seen Snakes on a Plane yet?.....Have you heard of Blanks on a Blank? No? Well, you're in for a treat. The Alamo Drafthouse had a contest for local filmmakers. Entrants were randomly assigned an animal and vehicle and then had to make a 2-5 minute disaster movie. Here's the link http://www.originalalamo.com/sites/2blanks/topfilms.aspx?i=52

I actually like the 2nd place one more than the winner. So funny. People are amazingly creative!

5 Comments:

  • Hoodwinkled? Will try to keep it in mind for next time I'm at the video store. Lost! The first seasons's coming to Japanese video stores and I can't wait to rent them! Been looking forward to seeing it for such a long time!

    Oh, by the way I know I've lost lots of weight in the last few years, but didn't think I looked so skinny that you'd notice from a picture. Since this past week I've been trying to eat more! And please remind me again about cookies at Kim's. What kind of "cookies"? It's bugging me that I can't remember.

    By Blogger inertbat, at 1:32 PM, August 21, 2006  

  • Hoodwinkled? Will try to keep it in mind for the next time I'm at the video store. Lost! The first season's coming to Japanese video stores and I can't wait to rent them! Been looking forward to seeing them for such a long time!

    Oh, by the way I know I've lost lots of weight in the last few years but didn't think I looked so skinny that you'd notice from a picture. Since this past week I've been trying to eat more!

    And please remind me again about what kind of "cookies" we had at Kim's. It's bugging me that I can't recall anything about them.

    By Blogger inertbat, at 1:33 PM, August 21, 2006  

  • Huh? I got a message saying that my comment didn't register so I typed it again, and now there are two up! Please erase one for me, will you?

    By Blogger inertbat, at 1:34 PM, August 21, 2006  

  • I wanna see Hoodwinked so bad! I loved Clerks 2. I really can't wait for season 3 of LOST. Hey happy One Year Blog Birthday. One year ago you started your BLog. I salute you!

    By Blogger jayeofmanyhats, at 4:41 PM, August 23, 2006  

  • But, Randy, if I delete your message, my comment count will go down! :(

    So, IT'S STAYING. Ha!!!!!!

    By Blogger Speck, at 8:22 PM, August 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home