Speck Of Texas

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Fully documented!

Dealing with the death of Michael's father has been very eye opening to the importance of wills, POAs, and medical directives. It made everything so much easier that he had all his paperwork together and in order. So, of course, Michael and I started talking about our situation. It's a little tougher since we aren't having children to figure out how we would want our estate handled. But, even though we won't have children, there will still be people that would have to deal with things if we become incapacitated or killed. So, my finance guy recommended an estate lawyer. We met with him and for $500 we each have wills, POAs, and medical directives. I asked a lot of my child-free friends if they had wills and if so, how they handled things....and no one did. Even my boss who is a CPA, and husband is a CPA, doesn't have a will. Texas probate is a lot easier than most states, but a will still makes things even easier. Why leave your family a mess when you die? that's just rude.

Michael is donating his entire half of our estate to charity, and I'm doing some of mine to charity and the rest to my niece/nephew. However, there's a stipulation that they can't touch the money until they're 25. ha! Yesterday I took both of our moms (known as 'The Moms') to our bank to get their names on our safety deposit box so they can get into it if needed. I believe everything has now been taken care of, and it's a load of my mind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home