Speck Of Texas

Sunday, October 29, 2006

Italy 3.75: Are you traveling alone?

On the train from Sorrento to Naples we started talking to the gentleman sitting next to us. He heard us talking about Pompeii and was going there that day. He was from Canada, I think. He was a slightly older man, and I asked him if he was traveling alone. His answer? "Well, I started out with my wife, but we got into a fight and she went home. So, yes now I'm alone." He said it so matter-of-factly. When I said I was sorry to hear that, he said it had been brewing for twenty years and didn't seem too upset about it. I just could not get over that. To have such a fight that you leave the country? If I'd been her, I just would have gone to a different city or something! I almost wanted to ask him if he thought he had a home to go back to. I could just imagine all his clothes thrown into the street or something!

We did run into some great people though. We met people from England, Australia, Tennessee, New York, California, and some other places. Even though we went in the 'off season', there was still a fair number of tourists. Nothing like the summer months would have been though.

2 Comments:

  • Actually, the guy dropped the "my wife and I had an argument and she left" comment and then stopped. I couldn't let a straight line like that go, so I asked him just how bad of an argument it was. That's when he mentioned the 20 year build up. I couldn't bring myself to ask him what kind of house he figured he would be returning to.

    - Matt

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:51 PM, October 30, 2006  

  • I actually watched a program on TV about wives who decide to leave their husands while on vacation. Generally the husband is always working and they don't spend much time together, and when he retires they're together too much. Then they decide to take an international vacation which turns out disastrous because they begin to see each other in a new light (how the other one is indecisive or helpless or is lost all the time) and they realize that this isn't the person they want to spend all their time with anymore. It was about older Japanese couples but I guess it could apply to anyone.

    By Blogger inertbat, at 12:13 AM, October 31, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home