Speck Of Texas

Monday, October 23, 2006

Italy 3: Whoa!! Is that a....?

Day 3: Pompeii and Herculaneum. We'd heard from some other tourists that Herculaneum was better than Pompeii, so we decided to do both. We all agreed that they both had their pros and cons, but it was worth it to see both. It was 10 euro each if you saw both, or 11 euro for just one. We were in Pompeii for five hours and didn't even see everything, and we saw all of Herculaneum in 2. Pompeii was awesome. So huge. Herculaneum was better preserved, but it's much smaller because the current town is built on top of it so they can't excavate that much. For 2000 year old structures, I was pretty impressed. Oh, yeah, and the blog title? Check out the first picture (click to ENLARGE). Supposedly those types of images scared away bad spirits....and virgins (kidding).


That's Vesuvius in the background that erupted. Can you imagine seeing that come at you? Crazy.


Street in Pompeii. Kinda shows you how big it is.


Herculaneum



Cool 2000 yr old entry way


While in Pompeii I did something unpleasant to my knee that plagued me the entire trip. I think I tore some tendons on the sides of my kneecap when I leapt off the sidewalk, about 18 inches high onto the cobblestone street. I landed wrong and my knee just didn't like it at all. So, the rest of the trip I really had to watch it on stairs and thank god for Matt cause he really helped me out. When I got back one of my doctors looked at it for me and right now I'm taking advil and icing it/heating it at night, but I still have discomfort. If I'm standing or walking too long it stiffens up and the back of my knee really tightens up. I might have to get an MRI if it doesn't get better, so they can see what's going on. I'm going to be so pissed off if this is a chronic/lifetime thing. Argh!

2 Comments:

  • happy happy birthday happy happy birthday...looks like italy was fun
    kim

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:54 AM, October 24, 2006  

  • Welcome back from your trip and Happy Belated birthday! I wrote a short letter and stuck in a box for you a couple weeks ago, and well wouldn't you know time passed and it sat around growing late. But it's in the mail and should get to you shortly!

    I tried updating my blog but blogger wouldn't let me for some reason. Kept getting an error message.

    I like the Italy pictures. Can't wait to see more. I hope your knee gets better.

    By Blogger inertbat, at 8:51 AM, October 28, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home